9/04/18
I drove past this between Salida and Cotopaxi on State Highway 50 in Colorado. I had to turn around and tell whoever that I stood with them totally assuming I was correct. I was and got the biggest hug of appreciation for doing so.

From my understanding, there are close to 3000 children being held around this country after being seized from their parents at the border.

Many will never see their Mom and Dad again because Republicans are totally evil.

You bastards!

7/29/12

What Will Be Left

And also whose table we will be on. Some think we as a species and as a planet are/will come to an end. Their is debate of course on when this will happen. Sooner or later take your choice it isn't worth arguing about. No one knows so that makes this opinion just as valid as anyone's.

I think the earth is past the tipping point and humans cannot sustain themselves at this level given the circumstances we have now.

Whether you agree or not one thing is for certain - when humans start dropping these fellows will be there to play their part in the worlds ever changing ecology.  

There are three pictures here in an attempt to show the size. These don't seem to get much bigger and there are not great numbers like some of the others. Notice the undeveloped wings. This is not quite two inches long and comes in one other color I've seen which is a reddish orange.

 Clicking on the pictures makes them bigger twice.



This is something else though. Gross out city I tell you. A mature Mormon cricket. When small they easily pass for a grasshopper. This is actually the first time I've seen some this big.

The other day went out to the same place I saw this one and did not see any large ones. Yesterday I saw several about half the size and they were much darker in color. They did not survive and what was left was dark as well. The one below was about 2.5" and just plain huge. They get get up to 3" in length and can and have cause devastating infestations. I hate to imagine what that would be like.


Not sure where this guy is headed whether it's mature or what have you. This is where the brighter colors are these days is on the ground. Time for breakfast.
This will be cross posted at the picture place.

8 comments:

  1. The last picture is amazing! The colors!!! They're all good pics, but that one is outstanding...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate that as always TMoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The world of insects continually amazes me. Those Mormon crickets are freaky, but have you seen a Jerusalem cricket? Freak-out city! Their eyes....

    Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These came up before and went and refreshed my memory.

    Just as bad and maybe worse. Don't want to see one. They will be the winners I'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It took me a while to figure out how big that first critter really was, my hens would love it. But the last picture is my favorite...a harlequin cricket. Not that I want to see any of them where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I googled that Jan but didn't come up with anything. The pictures were all over the place. I trust what you say.

      Delete
  6. I have NEVER in my life seen any of these crickets...like Jan my hens would love them...for me though...NOT so much

    Great photography that's for sure!


    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet they are out there Linda. Even though they are pretty good size they can be hard to see even on the road gravel or other.

    ReplyDelete