9/04/18
I drove past this between Salida and Cotopaxi on State Highway 50 in Colorado. I had to turn around and tell whoever that I stood with them totally assuming I was correct. I was and got the biggest hug of appreciation for doing so.

From my understanding, there are close to 3000 children being held around this country after being seized from their parents at the border.

Many will never see their Mom and Dad again because Republicans are totally evil.

You bastards!

1/15/11

Our Favorite Radio Stations Have Bulls Eyes On Them

FM radio stations that I support are very important to me and I'm sure yours are as well. Below are two e-mails the first forwarded to me  from KDNK in Carbondale,Colorado. The second a response to me from the program director over questions over the meaning of the terminology in the first and how they would be affected by defunding. 

I am not a fan of NPR but we're not going there. Many listener supported stations have NPR programs on and I have no issues with that whatsoever. But after reading Luke's response to me on how one of my favorite stations would be affected I ask you to please read this and if can and choose to support this effort for what ever it's worth that would be very nice and I thank you for that now.

Whether it's yours or mine we cannot allow these radio stations to be lost to a totally wrong ideology from the right. Not when we have unlimited funds for war and less everyday for things like this. Yes I do want me some guvment in my life - yes I do.
Thanks again! 
Link to NFCB where you can help and also get widget embed codes

Earlier today I sent an email out to you about the 170 Million Campaign—this is a joint effort to save federal funding for public broadcasting.  Some in the Republican party are framing this move as a way to defund NPR—but if they are successful, ALL OF US WILL BE HURT.  There will be no CPB, which means no CSG, no payments of your SX licensing fees, no royalty payments, no rural bonuses, no special opportunities.  It will mean that Native, Latino and African American consortia will have to find all their funding from other sources.
And if your station doesn’t fall into any of these categories—defunding public broadcasting will mean a severe blow to NFCB.
It is urgent that you get involved and get your listeners involved.  Here again is the website to visit and get information:

Ginny Z. Berson
Vice President and Director of Federation Services
National Federation of Community Broadcasters (NFCB)
510 451-8200 ext. 305

My Question 

If you could please,
What is CPB,CSG,SX licensing fees. Also from the e-mail no royalty payments, no rural bonuses, no special opportunities.
Can you tell me how many of the above apply to KDNK,dollar amounts and just overall how your station will be affected?
I am very curious about this on a local level.


The Response 

CPB is the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the umbrella organization for all public broadcasting in the country (TV and radio). The CPB  funds NPR and also provides funding to stations like KDNK with Community Service grants (CSG). SX (Sound Exchange) refers to the entity that tracks airplay on non-commercial radio for the purpose of paying musical artists for broadcasting their music over the Internet. The CPB pays fees to these artists and their record labels through Sound Exchange for its member affiliates. KDNK could not pay those fees on its own. The financial burden for KDNK and stations like it all over the country is shouldered by the CPB.
Thanks for being interested. If you have any further questions, call me.
Luke Nestler
Music and Program Director
KDNK Community Radio
P.O. Box 1388
76 S. 2nd St.
Carbondale, CO 81623
Phone 970-963-0139/Fax 970-963-0810
luke@kdnk.org
www.kdnk.org



2 comments:

  1. Government control? That is what Tucson was about besides the guy was a loon. I listen to one radio station and it is WBZ Boston, independent and privately owned news 24/7

    am increasingly concerned about getting important news but it seems we never do anymore unless we go elsewhere to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hit your NPR button yesterday and signed the petition.
    I mostly look for my news from over seas.
    I do have XM Sirius radio in the car.
    Where I get BBC and World Net Radio among others.
    I have a short wave radio, but those channels are getting harder and harder to find.

    ReplyDelete